Baby Health and Safety Article
Day Care Essentials
About half of new parents do not have the luxury of mom or dad staying home to care for their babies. Day care may be the only option that works for your family.
While leaving your new baby with a stranger is not an easy thing to do, don't feel that you're a bad parent because of the choice you and your wife have made. Focus on making it work.
What to Look For
There are different day care options, including day care centers, day care at your place of work, relatives, live-in help, and perhaps friends or neighbors. Check them all out to make sure you find the best possible arrangement for your new family.
Suggestions for choosing day care include:
- If possible, find day care by getting references from family or friends. Ask around yourself; don't leave this to just mom.
- If it's a day care center, make sure you inspect it thoroughly, including making an unannounced visit. If they have a problem with your thoroughness, consider it a red flag.
- If you choose an individual, make sure you do a background check, including calling 2-3 previous work references.
- Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, keep looking.
How to Protect Your Baby
Don't hesitate to take precautionary measures to ensure that your baby is in good hands and is well taken care of. If you have a babysitter and you are not happy, or for some instinctive reason you don't feel comfortable with this person, listen to your feelings.
- Drop in unexpectedly during the day.
- Pick up your baby early on occasion.
- Talk to other parents.
Take our website home with Crash Course for Dads-To-Be.
My son was born a month ago, which happened to be the most exhausting
Have something you want to tell us? Let us know.
New Dad Resources
Get Free Dad Tips
Baby on the way or just arrived? Sign up for our free Dad-to-be and New Dad Basics email series and you'll receive monthly emails packed with tips.
Crash Course for Dads-To-Be, full of the advice of over 300,000 new fathers.
Get prepared for the birth of your child with a Boot Camp workshop near you.
Dads Adventure Magazine has key articles on being a dad. Get it now!
Visit our Dads Blog for posts on the issues New Dads find most important.